25 March 2009

Does My Head Look Big in This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah

Sixteen-year-old Amal makes the decision to start wearing the hijab full-time and everyone has a reaction. Her parents, her teachers, her friends, people on the street. But she stands by her decision to embrace her faith and all that it is, even if it does make her a little different from everyone else.

Can she handle the taunts of "towel head," the prejudice of her classmates, and still attract the cutest boy in school? Brilliantly funny and poignant, Randa Abdel-Fattah's debut novel will strike a chord in all teenage readers, no matter what their beliefs.

(Book synopsis taken from Barnes & Noble website @ www.bn.com.)

1 comment:

SarahJaber_Timmons said...

I chose this book from the Abe list because I, a Muslim, also wear the Islamic headscarf. I thought it would be interesting to hear another girl's perspective on the situation and how she dealt with it at school. Other than that obvious reason, I also relate to the main character, Amal, in other ways. We both made a decision and stayed commited. I am different than Amal though because my school environment is a bit different and everyone is more accepting. Lastly, I think this book is worthy of being on the Abe Awards because it helps others understand different beliefs. It also shows readers that though Amal was a Muslim girl wearing something that no one is used to seeing, she still has the same feelings and emotions as any other teenager.